Thursday, March 28, 2013

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

It's been a while! But it's also been spring vacation, so that's my excuse.

This whole week I've been back home staying with the fam and eating non-stop paleo, courtesy of my paleo dad who is an AMAZING chef. (Side note...he's been doing paleo for 3 months. The first two months he lost about 20 pounds-all in the beer belly-and has held it steady for a month and counting! Yay dad!!!)

Here's what my wonderful dad made us for dinner tonight!



Bacon Wrapped Chicken With Asparagus and Homemade Mayonnaise

Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Thaw out or buy raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
Wrap each piece in one strip of bacon (or two, depending on the size)
No seasoning required
"How can you get a better flavor than bacon??" -Dad
Tonight we had them on the BBQ - 1 Hour. Indirect Heat.

I cook them at home in my oven.
40m-60m at 425 degrees.
After 40 minutes I flip them over and cook for another 10 minutes or until the bacon is fully cooked.
(I should note that my oven is over 3,000 years old, so yours may cook faster. Just keep your eye on it.)

 Homemade Mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin! the flavor is too strong! and don't use vegetable oil or you might as well buy the crap straight from the store)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a food processor or blender add the egg, lemon, vinegar, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Let these sit and come to room temperature. Very important.
With the blender or food processor running, slowly drizzle the last 1 cup of olive oil into mixture. Steady stream. Very slowly. You will be able to see the liquid start to form the emulsion.
Put it in the fridge in a container for a while for it to thicken a bit more.
I wouldn't eat it after about a week and a half.

Mayonnaise For Everything!
I know that you either love mayo or you hate it with a fiery passion...that's just the way the world works. I happen to love it.
You can make SO MUCH with this homemade mayo.

Chop up some green and purple cabbage with some green onions and make a slaw!
Mix it in with tuna or salmon with red onions and relish to make salad!
Make Egg salad!
Make your own ranch dressing!
Dip stuff in it!
It's really a very good thing to have on hand for packing lunches and snacks.

Awesome.
I'll try to get out of spring break mode and keep posting recipes for you guys.

Be well!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Serra!

    Just thought I'd share with you a way to make home made mayonnaise that literally takes seconds. I used to make it by hand and it was so much work that I didn't make mayo often enough. Here's a video that shows how to make it with a stick blender.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrAJ-CgQTNA

    ReplyDelete